About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 18 July 2017

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

 Two ducklings sitting on a lock gate, one went quack and jumped in the lock. Second little duckling went quack, quack, quack and followed suit! So FS is in the lock, the paddle lifted and water dropping. Mum asleep above totally unconcerned that her children were descending and would end up below the lock. I holler at Ian. "Drop the paddle". He panics, closes the paddle in double quick time thinking I'm in all sorts of trouble and comes running back. "What's the matter?" says he with a voice full of concern. "Two ducklings in the lock with us" I reply. Well if looks could kill I would be well and truly dead and even buried! To say he was NOT amused would be an understatement! Anyway, with me fluttering my eyelashes at him and asking very nicely if he could bring me back up, he begrudgingly complied.




First one out no problem but that second one....tried as hard as it could but took 4 attempts before finally making its escape.


Finally!

Oh, children...your back then!
 We met Mr and Mrs Speed merchant again on hire boat Box of Delights. This time coming up at Coxes Lock. Didn't realise it was them until they were just about up. Ian walked over and asked if they had just picked up the boat. "Yes," said he, so Ian did no more than relate the story of a couple hiring that same boat a few days ago who had no regard to the speed limit.  I was still with FS when I twigged who they were but (and I was proud of myself) I must say I kept my mouth shut when they finally went past. I felt one of my 'looks' was enough. But Ian was convinced it was another couple until I showed him the photos. "No wonder they looked sheepish," remarked Ian

Had another crew member this time but although no photo of the man, she was definitely the same women. See Post

Coxes lock
Where boats meet trains.


And finally to Thames lock where we were to leave this fab river.



Must sit well back in this lock.

And letting the pound drain into the Thames. 'Tis the only way to get out.
 Now back on the Thames and on the Weybridge Moorings. Here we will stay for a couple of days. The first 24 hours are free but it's £5 a night thereafter and then only for a further two days. With storms forecast and a months worth of rainfall to come tonight, I think we will be better off moored securely rather than on pins on a meadow.




No comments:

Blog Archive