About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 16 July 2017

Couldn't believe how fast!


Is this what people come on the inland waterways for. To go as fast as possible?? I think not but one person last night thought the speed limit didn't apply to him. We could hear the sound of an engine way back and I honestly thought that the boater would throttle back as soon as he saw us moored. But no! Full speed...and I mean full speed, creating a massive wave which pulled our pins clean out even though Ian had them crossed pinned.



At first, I politely asked him to slow down but soon resorted to calling him a moron and an idiot when he increased his speed even more. Thinking it was a private boater turned bad, a lady in the boat behind us (who was also in the process of retrieving her pins) soon put me right as she had seen the name of the hire company on the cabin side.

The mooring.
  So this morning, and knowing this hirer had to turn round at some point, I set off to find him. Sure enough, he was moored on the meadow at Newark. As I slowed right down he appeared on the back deck. " So we meet again," said I " See how I am doing the correct speed passing a moored boat and NOT at the speed you went by us last night. I have a good mind to report you to the hire company" said I. "Yes, yes all right, keep your hair on" said he disappearing below. I hope this is the last time our paths cross as (in my opinion) people like that have no place on the water!



Our destination was Pyrford Lock. Thought it a good place to stop but so many gongoozlers walking the towpath peering in at us that we felt a bit like goldfish in a tank. Had lunch and it was then decided to try and find somewhere else.

FS (far back) moored on the visitor moorings

On the water point by the lock.
 Last Wednesday I happened to put a photo of a duck nesting by this lock  (the one below)


 But I was sorry to see the nest abandoned today. It really was not the ideal place to lay her eggs as too many people around to disturb her. What a shame that 4 ducklings are never to hatch.


We walked to Murry's bridge near to Byfleet to see if a suitable mooring could be found. We found the perfect spot, in between reeds, where FS would nestle in nicely and so high tailed it back hoping it would still be there when we returned. Quick loo empty and fill the water tank before descending the lock. But this time it was rowing boats that were to hold us up. It was less than a mile to get to the mooring but took twice as long on FS than it did when we walked!


This dog belongs to those in the rowing boat. Exactly how could they pick up its poo when they are not even on the bank!





And on route,

Pulling up the Pennywort, a never-ending job.



And wildlife,






2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Hi Irene,

David and I hired that Box of Delights boat last year for a few days. I am sure that the owners would be keen to hear from you, so do give them a call. if they don't get told, they cannot do anything about it, is my motto.

We are now near Great Haywood and have only had one boat go past fast, although lots on the move today!

Hugs to you both, M&Dxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Yes, you are right Marilyn I should phone the owners but the hirers came past us late last night at a very sedate speed so maybe he has seen the error of his ways. Xxx

Blog Archive