About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 6 July 2017

Bonfires!

As I mentioned yesterday, this was not an ideal mooring. What with the foliage and flying ants, today it was the smoke that was the problem. House opposite, large bonfire, well you get the picture. So once again doors and windows shut but this time for most of the day and again we sweltered inside FS. Why didn't we move on? I wanted some fishing bait and the delivery at the Aquatic garden centre wasn't until 3 pm. It got to the point where I could take no more and went off for a walk leaving Ian to take a look at our solar panels. For some reason, we are only getting 3 amps rather than the 6 that we had been getting. Hope it's nothing major as this lovely sunny weather should be charging the batteries. Unfortunately not the case so have had to fire up the engine for a couple of hours. Ian thinks it may be the controller that is at fault as everything else checks out okay.  And what of the rain and thunderstorms for this area?. Not even a drop has fallen so looks like the heat and humidity are set to continue.



Itching I was to get to the aquatic garden centre to get my bait but a phone call to them at 3 pm said nothing had yet arrived so another hour wait before finally, at 4.15 pm the call came to say the delivery had turned up. Within 10 minutes I had walked there and back and by 4.30 pm we pulled pins and headed away from that bonfire. Only did the one lock before mooring just beyond the rather picturesque bridge 164 a total distance of 3/4 mile. In the distance, I could hear parrots calling so camera at the ready in the hope I get a glimpse.


 
And seen on my walk,


Juvenile Robin


First for me. A Heron laying down.




A mum to be Wolf spider carrying the egg sac.

Peacock butterfly caterpillers



No comments:

Blog Archive