About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 30 June 2017

A tad disappointed.

Walked 5.2 miles today. From FS to College Lake Nature reserve, around the lake and back again. And how could I be that precise? Well I have a new watch which measures distance, sleep patterns, how many steps taken, exercise time and calories burned. I must say it has been a big motivation to get out and do the recommended 8000 steps in a day. I exceeded that total by another 3100 steps so dead chuffed about that.

Ian came with me, although at the lake we went our separate ways. I look for birds, butterflies, bugs etc but Ian fidgets and gets very impatient. So he went off with the binoculars while I took both cameras. Meeting at an arranged time at the cafe for a spot of lunch, we both said how very disappointed not to see more in the way of wildlife. Not sure what to expect but there was nothing we hadn't already seen on the canals. Apart from a few Butterflies and Orchids, the odd bird or two, spiders and Toadlets, that was it. Probably just the wrong time of the year so I expect another visit on our return in October will be on the cards.




Speckled White



Brown Argus






Common spotted orchid

I think this is a lacewing


Toadlet



Willow Warbler

Not sure if this is a Hobby as they have been seen by the lake.

No comments:

Blog Archive