About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 4 September 2015

Pulled pins, tilted boat, cuprits found.

Just missed sharing a lock when a lone boater went past. Not quite ready to set off as aerial had to be taken down. We left it another 20 minutes before getting the lock ready. Up we goes, Ian gets back on board, we set off round the bend and there it was. Right across the canal. We had to assume the lone boater pulled it's pins as he sped past and this was confirmed when we caught him up at Bottom Side lock some 30 minutes later. He denied having seen a loose boat and I must say traveling with him to the water point below Rising Sun lock he certainly didn't cut the revs back when he passed the moored boats. Anyway I digress from the story.

Now, we could have squeezed past and left it for the next boater to sort out but that wouldn't have been sporty so, having got Ian off, he walked on to try and bring it's bow round. Only made things worse 'cause now it completely blocked the canal and wedged itself onto the far bank. Yours truly then did no more then bring FS to it's stern and gently push it back towards the towpath. Having done my good deed I tried to reverse. Tried, was the word, as I was stuck, good and proper like.  All I succeeded in doing was pivoting on whatever had me in it's grasp. Ian was still trying to secure that boat totally oblivious to my plight. Then, when he did become aware of my predicament, he tried shouting directions which I must say peed me off no end as I had already tried every which way I could. Pole came in handy at that point and high revs in reverse. With a loud gulp FS slid off whatever it was and I shot backwards but at least I was moving. Got back into the side to collect Ian although I was sorely tempted to leave him to walk!!!!









Then stopping for water before The Rising Sun lock two boats came past  First, a lovely speed just as it should be but the second! Well!!!! I feared for my plates! Having filled with water we happened to meet the pair at the lock, both waiting for a boat to exit. Ian walked toward the chap and polity told him that if he tried harder next time he might actually be able to break all our crockery! All he got was a stony stare, so my moment of naming and shaming has come. Meet the idiot on boat Jalizcazam


Maybe he was racing to the pub to get the free beer!
  We stopped just after the Port of Berkhampstead lock. Settled down to enjoy the rest of the afternoon. Lovely spot that if it wasnt for the high speed trains! Every minute or so they thundered past, not even stopping at the station. It became unbearable and the thought of it througout the night???? So even though it was nearly 3pm we pulled pins, headed up the next three locks and stopped at the furthest point from the tracks. Still hear them but nowhere near as bad. Only trouble with this mooring......no TV!!!!!


This was a first for me. Seen basking in what little sun we had, a Terrapin.


On route,

Crab apples, a delicacy for the ducks.

No comments:

Blog Archive