About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 2 August 2015

My owl hunting theory.

Having staked out another late afternoon/evening vigilance, the only sign of the owl was late evening around 9pm. I had all but given up and gone inside to get away from those biting insects, started to pull the curtains when it flew right past the boat!!! Still it would have been to dark to photograph and I did get my owl fix the day before. I have a theory as why she didn't hunt on the meadow last night.  First her food source would be exhausted all to soon if she hunted there every day and secondly she sending those critters into a false sense of security leaving the meadow alone for a few days.

A lovely peaceful night was had with the only sound from the sheep and the hooting of the owl. Getting up late this morning (all of 8.30) I decided to see if I could find the Pinkhill nature reserve. Well I found it alright, couldn't go to enjoy it though as some vandals had burnt down not only the hide but the  walk way too. All fenced off so only a brief glimpse of what might have been.It wasn't quite a wasted walk as lots of bugs, birds, butterflies ,dragonflies and the odd squirrel.

 Leaving the meadow after lunch we only traveled for a few hours. In fact Shifford lock is not far away. Loads of punters and rowers on the water. Well with the sun out and the day warming nicely, were else would one rather be.




With the excitment of the owl I forgot to mention the Reservoir.  We did have a wander round Farmoor  a nature reserve, wetland sports center as well as Thames water supplying our drinking water. Very enjoyable for me as my hip pain wasn't so pronounced. Maybe the injection is starting to work after all.  So the wildlife photos of the walk I have posted my wildlife blog. 





Military plane flew continually overhead.


Brimstone



Meadow Brown

Peacock

Red Adrimal

A very scruffy Wren

Yellow Hammer
Skimmer

Common Blue

Grey Veined White

Kestrel

Dark Veined White


Not at all sure what this bird is but it looks to have been threw the wars.



No comments:

Blog Archive