About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 14 April 2015

Meeting of old friends and new.

 Nb Bounty advertising Narrowboat World turned up at Sawley late afternoon and I must confess it's not a magazine or forum I read. Was quite prepared to pass pleasantries with them but never a sight or sound came from the boat. Until that is this morning just as we were about to set off. The chap and missis was about to water up and a cheery hello from them and us was about all we said. The dog on the other hand was very pleased to see us, a lovely friendly Ridgeback which gave me a much needed doggie fix. Still miss our Jade terribly.


The wind it did blow again making for a very cold trip along the river to Derwent Mouth. I nearly succumbed to wearing a wooly hat and gloves but thought that a bit OTT. Instead a warm jumper and jacket sufficed, couldn't possibly take my photos with gloves on now could I! Talking of which, many a time I have taken this self same photo but with an empty M1? Unheard of especially at rush hour.


Before we left Sawley Ian checked on C&RT web site for any stoppages. He found that a tree had come down above Shardlow lock but had already been dealt with. We found the tree!!! Or rather what was left of it. I really cant understand why the trunk hadn't been removed at the same time. Is this an accident waiting to happen? Only time will tell!



On our way to Swarkstone Lock Ian mentioned that a chap with his Border Terrier had walked past and said he read my blog. Ian had no idea who it was but the chap mentioned he may see us at the lock. Sure enough, I'm waiting on the lock landing for a Canaltime to exit when along comes this chap, shakes my hand and said he was John from Nb Plodding Along. Well well well. Amazing who you meet because one does a blog! We chatted away waiting for the lock and the chatting continued while in the lock. Then Ian joined in and left me to take the photos. Lovely to meet you John and thanks for your help. May see you on the Thames.




John closing the gates.

First view of  Willington cooling Towers
Stenson Lock is the only lock on the system I dread. It's deep, the gates dont open properly and hasnt done for years and the water rushes in at an alarming rate even with only one ground paddle up. This is also the lock where I got well and truly wedged! So Ian very gingerly opened the ground paddle boat side. All was going beautifully till he opened it some more. FS surged forward and even with full reverse and smoke billowing from the engine, I couldnt stop the forward momentum. Ian dropped the paddle immediately which saved me from crashing into the gate but it was a close thing! Somehow I think Stenson lock is definitely out to get me!

Only way to get Ian back on board, Thanks C&RT
With no mooring at Stenson the next place to try was opposite Mercia Marina at Willington. Who should be walking along the towpath but Roger and Pat Nb The Cat's Whiskers back from their jaunt to New Zealand visiting family. What a lovely surprise and after a brief greeting arranged to meet at the Boardwalk pub (in the Marina) for a drink tonight. Can't wait to catch up 'cause it must be a good few months since we saw them last.


 And seen on the river today








1 comment:

John and Louise said...

Great to meet you both today. Have a safe trip and hopefully we can meet up again soon. As I predicted, Louise was a bit miffed that she'd missed you.

Blog Archive