About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 30 April 2015

Is that someone crying for help!

6.45 AM Who the hell has started their engine. Unbelievable!!!! The rumbling drumming through FS's hull magnifying the sound. Could only be one of two boats nearby but fully aware that we must all get on during the festival so nothing has been said but if it happens again tomorrow, beware........ The sound finally ceased at 10am!

Ian had already got dressed, couldn't get back to sleep due to the noise so he thought he might as well. I was enjoying my cup of tea in bed when I suddenly became aware of someone shouting help. Was I dreaming??? No there it was again. 'Help I cant get out'! Christ someones fallen in. Ian rushed to the back, hastily flinging on his flip flops. I donned jumper and trousers, (no time for undies) and rushed out as well only to see Ian strolling back from the end of the pontoon without a care in the world. 'False alarm' shouts he, 'its the firemen practicing rescue techniques'. Well it took a while for the adrenalin rushing through me to subside but what a relief. They were very convincing I can tell you.
 Fireman accident

The large marquee as well as several smaller ones have arrived and are being put up. The boaters elsan has appeared very near to this mooring, through the gate and very easy for us to get to. No water to flush the cassette out so a bucket with canal water will have to suffice. Good to see the burger van and the beer has also arrived. 18 different ales to please us boaters although personally I prefer larger. Sacrilege I know!!!



Ian doing his bit



A few more boats have arrived but the site is by no means full. I suppose we still have a day to go before the start. It starts on Saturday not Friday as I assumed.

No comments:

Blog Archive