About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 20 March 2015

Sun's gone green!

Gosh we were lucky. Woke to wall to wall sunshine here in the east midlands and the perfect conditions to see the eclipse. Shame I never had the presence of mind to get proper glasses but I had heard that so long as you have polarised sunglasses, water to reflect the image and calm conditions, it was still possible to see the event. Sure enough they were not wrong. Unfortunately a very slight breeze rippled the water and made taking a good shot impossible but, with the camera hand held and sunglasses placed over the lens, I at least had something to show. Not as good as the bloggers that have already posted some superb photos but still quite pleased with the result. One shot was taken through the welding mask ( thank you Derek) which, when I put on the computer, was quite a unique shot.

Camera focused on my reflection in the welding mask's dark glass. Eclipse (green) was then reflected back onto the camera lens.

Reflection in the water

Blasted ducks disturbed the water. Eerie light (almost like dusk) when the partial eclipse was at it's height.

Still in that eerie light. Water movement made the sun look normal


I recorded the Stargazer live on the BBC at 9am so the next few photos are me cheating and taking photos from the program.

From the Faroe Island




 It's games night tonight so with a hive of activity going on in the cottage to get everything set up, I came along with tea and cakes and called a halt. As I predicted yesterday both the Walnut cake and Banana cake went down a treat and with some having seconds, there was only just enough left for Ian and me to have with our lunch.           

No comments:

Blog Archive