About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 25 August 2014

Boring sort of day

Blooming awful day weather wise and it's still raining now. Sat in the boat twiddling my thumbs, listening to the rain drumming on the roof and wondering what to do. Ian had driven to Milton Keynes to leave our car with Colin and although I would love to have been with him, he was catching the train back to Stafford. Dont think Jade would have travelled to well on the train and I certainly wouldnt have left her on her own all day. After a while I stirred the old bones and cleaned out my fishing locker and well deck. Got a shock of my life when this ran across the floor.


Stayed where it was for a while that's why I got the photo. Probably shocked at being evicted from it's home.
Feeling exceptionally brave, I captured it under a glass, slid a newspaper under the rim and threw it out of the side hatch.

Having completed my task it was back to twiddling my thumbs and resorting to watching day time TV. So glad when Ian phoned to say he was back in Stafford and waiting for a Taxi to bring him home. Not so glad when Ian told me the fare from the station to here, a matter of a few miles, was  £11. Only £7 at the start of the year so it must be an inflated price because of the bank holiday.

We leave Stafford tomorrow for Milton Keynes. Hope to arrive by the 3rd or 4th September but a lot depends on boat traffic, lock queues and the weather.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Gee wilickers Irene was this monster as big as it looks? I would have called the Police I think.

We only went around the corner from you to the lovely meadows, but due to no bridge access here I couldn't walk back to say hello properly.
So glad to hear Ian is well. Thank you for your nice comments about the blog.
Are you going to Milton Keynes by helicopter? We would take six weeks to get there!!!!!
Happy cruising,
Lisa
NB WaL

Blog Archive