About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 5 July 2014

A kid in the hedge

Time and time again the saying about things happening in threes comes true. You may recall my post, pre going away, about us being hit twice in two days. Well yesterday it happened again! I might just add here that it was another hire boat but this time I'm as much to blame as the other boater. We both met at a blind bridge 'ole at the same time. I judged him to be that bit nearer so reversed to let him through. He also reversed but couldn't slow down quick enough and ended up coming through the bridge. Unfortunately FS 's bow, instead of heading toward the bank as I reversed, headed straight for the center of the bridge and we hit almost head on! Good job I was going astern and he had slowed right down. Both of us ended up being pushed against the brickwork but no real harm done (to us or the bridge). After I had sorted myself out I apologised for my awful maneuver, he apologised for not slowing down in time and both of us laughed it off we as one of those things that happen. At least from now on I can breath easy in the knowledge that, for now at least, FS's steel work should be free from any more knocks.

 Had a right royal welcome from Dennis and Margaret. Flag waving to us as we rejoin them for the trip to Blackboy.

 After the meet and greet, the pleasure in seeing their daughter Gillian on Nb Icing and our usual tea cake and natter, we headed off for our last minute shopping spree. As usual we spent to much, especially in Iceland, where I restocked the freezer in readiness for the family invasion on Saturday (7 adults, three kids and a baby). Leaving Rugely after lunch the destination for this evening was Handsacre. Apparently the Fish and Chips shop comes highly recommended. So yet another day where the diet is put on the back burner. At this rate I'll be gaining the pounds instead of taking them off! Here's a couple of photos of the journey.

The start of what was the Armitage Tunnel.

Icing at the exit
 We had only been moored a few minutes when a goat turned up. I kid you not (get the pun). A small holding next to the towpath was where it had come from and Margaret was concerned that it would wander onto the road. So armed with Jades lead she attempted to lasso it. It was having none of that and ended up wedged in the hedge bottom. After a struggle it somehow it got itself back into the field none the worse for wear, although the barbed wire had a mass of goat hair along the length.





No comments:

Blog Archive