About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 25 June 2014

Just to put a few things right

Firstly if I come across as having it in for hire boats I apologise, I don't. What I do object to is for those that wont admit to being at fault whether it be private boat owners or a hirer. A comment left on my last post made it sound as if all I do is grip at hirers. As hirers ourselves for nie on 22 years I  remember very distinctly the very first time I went on a hire boat. I was terrified trying to steer and to keep it in a straight line was impossible. I couldn't judge bridge 'oles or how much to turn the tiller going round a bend. And yes I did unintentionally hit boats now and then but was always very quick to apologise to the boat owner. I couldn't travel fast if you paid me, being that scared of not keeping it in the centre of the canal and had no idea which side to pass on. And locks were  completely baffling. No idea which paddle to lift (didn't even know what they were called) or when to open a gate and when to shut it. The times I got the boat stuck on the mud doesn't bear thinking about and even now, 30 years later, I still do stupid things. So if I come across as harsh it is only because some folk just don't think about whats happening in front of them (or behind them for that  matter)  and traveling to fast through a bridge 'ole or round a sharp bend is just asking for trouble. Today was a classic example of a private boat owner getting it wrong. He came out of the bridge 'ole and just didn't turn the tiller in time. He headed straight for us and we were again hit on the bow. He slammed the throttle in reverse but the boat didn't respond  and when it did also hit the boat in front of us with his stern. Ian shot out and the chap was mortified by what had occurred. The chap apologised once again, asked about damage (scratched all the way down our gunwale) and went on his way. 10 minutes later we had a knock on the cabin roof. It was the same gentleman. He asked if there was anyway he could do to compensate us for his mistake and was once again very sorry for his lack in concentration. Now to me this is what boating is all about. Consideration for other users and saying sorry when we get things wrong. He was a real gentleman and of course Ian said there was no harm done. A quick splash of paint would hide the marks and, after a pleasant few minutes chatting to him, he went on his way much relieved. I don't know his name but the boat was called Yorkshire Rose. If you ever come across him this is one hell of a nice guy and one of the most considerate boaters I have ever known.

Bridge 'ole by the Cross Keys. Photo taken from the bow to show the angle

Anyone else think this duck is smoking a cigarette?

No comments:

Blog Archive