About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 10 June 2014

Boils and Kingfishers

Well who would have thought after the atrocious weather conditions yesterday morning that we would be able to have a BBQ later that afternoon. We joined Dennis and Margaret on Icing, " the party boat" (so called because of the long foredeck) and joined forces providing the food. Margaret supplied new potatoes cooked in herbs and butter as well as a meringue filled with strawberries . Ian made the garlic bread and I made my coleslaw complete with sultanas for that slightly sweeter taste. After the meal we played games. First Jenga (not easy on a rocking boat) and then Mexican Train.


Poor Jade wanted desperately to join us.


Careful Ian

Mexican Train



Lovely end to the evening




Went to bed that night feeling slightly worse for wear. I had starting on the red wine much earlier in the evening then normal and thought on waking this morning thats why I didnt feel quite right. The back of my neck felt very tender and I had a bit of a headache. I soon discovered the reason. The biggest lump had appeared and, showing it to Ian, confirmed he thought I had a boil. So it was straight to the medicine cupboard for cotton wool and dettol, boiled the kettle, filled a bowl and applied the very hot poultice to see if I could bring the thing to a head. So far it hasnt worked and Ian has been treating it several times an hour. All I know is it's blooming sore and I feel like giving it a good squeeze. I just have to be patient.

Before this afternoons storms arrived I settled down to do a spot of fishing. Thats when I spied something over in the reeds. At first I thought the bird was a Reed Warbler but looking through the camera lens showed it to be a Kingfisher. Even with my super doper lens it was a bit to far to get a good photo but here are my attempts anyway.









Coming storm this afternoon


2 comments:

Keith Lodge said...

Please say "hi" to Dennis and Margaret on Icing for us :)

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Will do Keith. Hope you are now fighting fit again and maybe see you out cruising later in the year. Xxx

Blog Archive