About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 30 May 2014

Why do boaters no longer slow down?

Now you know me..... I'm not one to rant or rave (is that coughing I hear (-: ) but do you think boaters are going faster past moored boats then usual? Apart from the odd few that do know what 2 mile an hour is, the majority only throttle back as they draw level with the boat giving no chance of the boat slowing down, and then pile on the revs as soon as they think they are past. Classic example was when we were at Shobnall fields. A private boat owner kept knocking the revs back to pass one boat, full power for only one boat length, back with the revs passing a second boat, got to us and put full power on again.  If Ian hadn't put a spring on we would have tipped! I remember when boating used to be fun. A gentle meander along tranquil waterways with everyone observing the speed limit.. Now it's more like the M25 where everyone seems to be in a hurry. Having arrived back at Branston we had an incident where we were trying to moor, a boat sped past and about dragged me into the moored boat in front. It took the combined effort of Ian and me pulling as hard as we could to bring FS to a stop. A bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss. After all I'm sure they wouldn't like it if it was done to them!

So now that we have safely moored by the park entrance we are off to Christine's to see baby. This will probably be the last time I see him for a while as tomorrow Ian returns the car to Sandiacre. Then Sunday we are off (very slowly) to Stafford Boat club.

Margaret and Ian putting the world to rights

Dennis bringing in Icing at Branston Lock

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

I agree, most boats do go to fast. I always make the effort to be courteous and go at lowest tick over, having been on stakes the last 3 nights before Nantwich, and on a wide, boats have been tanking past & loosening my stakes ( I must admit I do hate using these ) but I needed to chill a few days before the mayhem of a town. 1

Dogsontour by Greygal said...

Hi Irene

It was one of the great pleasures of boating on the Calder and Hebble, Aire & Calder, L&L, HNC etc that boats - apart from being few in number - never did seem to be in a hurry coming past us, and there was a very relaxed vibe throughout - which disappeared immediately we returned south via Preston Brook! We were sorely tempted to turn right round again..

All the best

Sarah

Blog Archive