About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 13 April 2014

Rats!

Hectic day for Ian as he has been painting the soffit boards at the front of the bungalow. I, on the other hand,  have been trying to organise my fishing locker. After 5 months where I haven't picked up my rod or even looked in the locker, the mould had coated everything including my fishing stool. Most of my reels and line were placed in plastic boxes so at least they were mould free. The spiders have had a field day. I had to run the gauntlet of at least a dozen of them and some still attached to their webs. How come they can survive in a damp locker? Still it's done and I now have a clean and better manageable locker. Everything to hand instead of having to take the contents out just to find one thing!. At least I had no rat in it this time! Although.......... funny that I should mention rats 'cause today I saw two of them! One swimming at Dockholme lock on the far bank and the other running along the concrete at the side of our boat. It paused right by our bow rope and for one moment I had the horrible feeling that the thing was going to run up it. Maybe I should take a leaf out of Boudicca's book and put rat deterrents on all the ropes.








Aren't they great (:
Now that the locker has been sorted I'm starting to think about planting my roof pots. Just got to decide what I'm going to grow this year. A trip to the Garden center tomorrow may give me some ideas. I'm only allowed one box of flowers (Ian thinks the boat looks to much like a hearse if the roof is covered in flowers) and one box of herbs.

And finally:-









1 comment:

Wozie nb Oakfield said...

Fantastic ladybird pic and is that wasp asleep?
We have also seen rats in places along the canals, usually where people come to feed the ducks.

Blog Archive