About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 19 March 2014

161 miles and 183 locks to do in 8 days!

Seems like an impossible task but after receiving a phone call from Carl ( contract manager) from Anglo Welsh last Friday asking if we could possibly move two boats ASAP, one from North Kilworth, Leicestershire to Tardebigge and then take the second boat from Tardebigge to their Oxford base on the Thames. This was one challenge we just had to take up. So Saturday, very early in the morning, saw us on our way to Kilworth where we were introduced to Beeston She's 65ft and sleeps 8, in other words a glorified party boat. After the hand over and a lovely surprise of two bottles of wine as a thank you, we set off in glorious sunshine at 9.30am relishing the prospect of cruising once more.  The Watford flight was the first of the many locks we had to tackle and in full view of the lock keeper I completely missed the lock entrance and rammed Beeston into the bank. I felt such a prat, a complete amateur but I'm putting it down to the way Beeston handled. Cant possibly be crew error now can it! Anyway the rest of the flight down went like a dream and we moored the first night before Norton Junction.


Top of Watford flight.

Moored at the end of the line Norton Junction

   Leaving Ian to watch the Rugby I went for a walk toward the junction and who should I bump into but Jacquie Like Ducks to Water coming back from helping a friend down the Buckby flight. Apart from one very brief hello a few years ago as we passed by on our respective boats this is the first time we have come face to face. We both stood on the bridge putting the world to rights and Jacquie even offered to charge my laptop for me as Beeston has no 240 volt inverter on board, only having a 12 volt supply. Shame our boats were to far apart 'cause it would have been nice to have shared a bottle of wine while my laptop was charging. Thanks for the offer Jacquie and I'll say it again. You are one hell of a plucky lady. I hope our paths will cross very soon so we can have a proper chinwag.

Jacquie
With an early start on Sunday bed beckoned at 9pm. Total hours 7. Mileage today 16.4 miles and locks tackled 7.

A few photos taken on route.







 Weird coloured cloud at Norton Junction

Sunset at Norton Junction

3 comments:

Jacquie said...

Aw, Thank you Irene, what a lovely thing to say about me, it was such a shame that we didn't get that wine ( what about the diet ?? or does liquid not count ?? ) I think we only have to calorie count if it's a solid> I wish I had known Ian was watching the rugby, and me and you could have had that chat inside - opportunity missed. Take care, and it's a nice photo, better than the one Derwent 6 posted of me !! LOL.x

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Jacquie,
The diet has been put on hold for the moment as has reducing the intake of red wine. Both Ian and I need the alcohol to keep us both going on this epic journey. We will have that bottle together one day as I'm sure our paths will cross sooner rather then later. Keep safe and enjoy your cruising.
Xxx

Jacquie said...

Skoll, Tusen Takk x

Blog Archive