About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 7 February 2014

A bl**dy awful week

It all started with Jade and her collapse. Little did we know that the saying 'things always come in three's' was to prove correct. As far as Jade was concerned we continue to see an improvement but we're not out of the woods yet with her head tilt still very noticeable. No more walking in circles though, and jumping off the boat was no longer a problem. The antibiotics seem to be doing the trick  as her appetite was now back to Labrador mode but the cunning madam had got wise to the tablets spitting them out at every opportunity. I now have shares in Pate cause I'm getting through loads of the stuff just trying to get them down her throat! So that was the first of our awful week. The second was me coming down with Diverticulitis again. This is a horrible disease leaving one doubled up in agony. Standing is painful, sitting is painful, lying down is painful in fact there is nothing to do but suffer. I first noticed discomfort on Monday but tried to put it to the back of my mind. I changed my diet eating white bread instead of wholemeal, cutting out fruit and veg and drinking clear liquids. Unfortunately this didn't stop the disease and by Tuesday I was doubled up in pain. I keep an emergency supply of antibiotics just for this eventuality so started them immediately.  By Wednesday the fever started and I had to let Ian go on his own to see the consultant. And that leads me to number three in our awful week. Baring in mind I was very ill and couldn't really think straight I was totally devastated when he returned to say the cancer was back. This time in his prostrate. I lost it and broke down completely. Why why why....... after everything Ian has been through, 2 operations, losing half a shoulder blade, being told he may lose an his arm if the tumour in his armpit starts growing again, going through radiotherapy and 2 lots of chemotherapy and all the uncertainty over the last 6 years it just doesn't seem fair. We now wait a MRI scan to see if the tumour is contained in the prostrate or has spread to other parts. Nothing can be decided as to treatment until we see the consultant mid March so with our Northern Lights cruise coming up in less then 2 weeks, we are going to make the most of that experience. I will just say that the biopsy on the tumour showed it to be a low grade and normally on an older man ( over 65 ) the treatment is to wait and see. With Ian only just into his 60's, the possibility of some sort of intervention is more probable. Having done some extensive reading on the net I now feel a bit more optimistic and with the other tumours on his back and under his arm still showing no more growth, I am keeping positive.

So on a lighter note:-




14 comments:

KevinTOO said...

Oh no... we're so sorry to hear that both of you are on the 'sick list' again :(
If there is anything we can do practically, other than crossing our fingers and holding you in our thoughts, please don't hesitate to let us know.
Kevin xx & Harry xx

Amy said...

Sorry to hear that, and wishing all three of you the best. Thinking of you. Xxx

Amy
WILLOW

Elly and Mick said...

We are so sorry to hear of your woes. What a dreadful time you're having. Sending positive thoughts and hoping you all get the best possible outcome.
Elly and Mick
nb Parisien Star

Kath said...

Include our best wishes for a speedy recovery for all of you! And here's hoping the prostate is the slow growing sort, I know someone who has had it for over 15 years and is still going strong.
Kath & Neil (nb Herbie)

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

It is so lovely to know we have your thoughts with us. Thank you all and Kath you have given us hope.
Xxx

Nev Wells said...

Just sending positive thoughts to speed up all of your recoveries, stay strong and focus on that great trip to see the Northern Lights.

Nev & Rachel NB Percy

Ali and John (NB Triskaideka) said...

Sorry to hear that, but like Kath I know someone who has it for about 10 years and you really wouldn't know, I also know someone who was diagnosed had a course of radiotherapy and now is fine so fingers crossed!

Try spam to hide the tablets, cut into small pieces our dog used to take the whole piece from my hand and tablet gone, although he did used to get wise sometimes and spit it back out!

Hope you are soon feeling a bit better Irene.

Ali x

Sue said...

Not a good time for you both, but it is good to see that Jade is making a recovery. Nothing much stops a lab from hovering their dinner.

I do hope you will both feel OK soon, you have done so well in the past overcoming health problems I know how strong you both are.

Be there for each other and you will get through.

My positive thoughts also go out to you both and to Jude as well.

xx

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you - misfortune always seems to come in great big dollops - UNFAIR!!

Hope you're all on the mend soon - the chief medical office a few years ago classified prostate cancers as "tigers" or "pussycats" - let's hope that Ian's is the latter...

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Debbie said...

Oh Irene it sounds like you're really going through it at the moment, our thoughts are with you, Ian and Jade too. Debbie and James xx

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

Oh Irene,
My heart aches for you both. I too have diverticulitis and I know the agony. Be sure to rest.

I find Philadelphia cream cheese works a treat to hide pills in for animals. A tablespoon of it with the pill hidden inside and the dog usually gulps it down without a problem.

Credible research has shown that Pomegranate juice works wonders in the fight against prostate cancer.
Blessed be,
JaqXX

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Once again we cant thank you all enough for your lovely comments. Xxxx

Ali and John, great tip on hiding the tablets. Jade loved it. Xxx

Jaq, I have added pomegranate juice to my shopping list. All I need to do is find some. Thank you for your research
Xxx

jampot55 said...

hello - just read your post and wanted to send my love and Big Hugs to you.
Janice xx

Roger and Pat Filler said...

Wishing you all a good time on the cruise to the Northern Lights. Enjoy yourselves and we will be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. X

Blog Archive