About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 2 January 2014

Fast start, slow finish


Last night moorings at Gallows Lock and no we are not on the lock landing moorings! They are round the far bend.
 Wasn't it the most glorious day today. The sort of day that makes you feel glad to be alive. Traveling the final few miles back to the Mill was wonderful even though I felt a bit sad at the thought of no more cruising for quite a while. Before we got going Carol walked to Greens lock to get it ready. As I mentioned yesterday, every lock had top gates open so, by Carol walking ahead, it saved us all a bit of time. And we did make good time until Electra started billowing smoke from her exhaust and started running on 2 cylinders (she has a three cylinder engine). Michael thinks it may be one of the injectors and once back to Langley will strip them all out.

Plenty of smoke
With Electra now limping back to base the going was considerably slower. And to top it all they picked up a green recycling back round the prop slowing them down even more and which could only be partially removed by the boat hook. I expect the journey back for them was quite stressful. Still the weather was great, we were in no hurry and I got to play with my new camera. Bonus!! Here are a few photos taken with the new toy.

Electra before one of the injectors gave up the ghost.

I happened to pick up a very large branch on the bow as I entered the lock. 


Took both Ian and Michael to remove it.

Trying my self timer while waiting for Electra to arrive at Langley Lock. Bit of a 'gnome moment' with that hat!

Electra finally arriving after a ten minute wait.
Pulling onto the facilities and while Ian got the car and ran Carol and Michael home, I filled the water tank, emptied the loo and washed down the roof and sides of the boat. With us now not moving until the end of March I doubt if the boat will get another wash until we leave. With lots of family visits to arrange I'm hoping I wont get too bored and of course we have got our Northern Lights cruise to look forward to in February. So blogging may be put on hold for a while, although I will still post my wildlife photos.

And finally:-






1 comment:

Nev Wells said...

You really must blog about the Northern Lights cruise, one on my radar....

Nev

Blog Archive