About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 3 January 2014

Blue blobs springing up along the towpath

On my walk this morning I noticed some strange blue marks on the grass and towpath. Wondering if the local youths had run out of wall space for their graffiti and was therefore now having to resort to spray painting the soil, I realised on closer inspection that the blue spray paint covered doggie do droppings! Having a word with ECP&DA chairman Howard about this phenomenon he informed me that volunteer lengths men were walking sections of the Erewash in the aim of reporting on any trees down, vandalism problem with locks etc that could be relayed back to C&RT and fixed. Part of the volunteers job is to litter pick and highlight dog mess in the hope that who ever is letting their dog foul and not clear it up will get the message that this is unacceptable behavior. Apparently it has worked on the Chesterfield towpath so trials are starting up all over the country. I really hope this will do the trick as many who read my blog will know this is one of my pet hates, but until I see otherwise I'm not holding my breath!.


Having arrived back from my walk our garden mooring was invaded by a tree cutting duo. Turns out it was Ian and Mac trimming the branches from around the phone cables that supply the Great Northern pub. I'm quite pleased with this as it lets loads more light into the boat. Only downside is the road noise might get a bit noisier.   





And finally:-






No comments:

Blog Archive