About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Interviewed for BBC East Midlands news program

Uncanny what a day brings. It's one of those days that would normally have turned out as a non descriptive sort of day but turns out to be quite interesting instead.  Having done my usual walk with Jade, and was in time to see three swans flying toward the river, I returned to try my hand at fishing to see if anything was living beneath the waters of this canal.




 The pollution that occurred last September killing all the fish was devastating at the time but now the Environment agency, as well as the fishing clubs, have restored the natural balance by restocking with 1000's of fish. So I tried dangling a maggot to see if anything took the bait. After nearly an hour of waiting and baiting the swim time and time again with casters, not a bite was to be had. I was just about to give up when wham, the float disappeared and I pulled out a Roach. Eureka. Fish were back on the Erewash. From that moment I pulled out over 25 fish, a mixture of Roach and Rudd. It was then, while I was fishing, that I noticed some strange people on the towpath.


The chap looked like some mechanical man walking very slowly with two walking sticks. I assumed he was disabled and was doing some sort of charity walk. I noticed that he was being interviewed at the same time and, when they turned round and started walking slowly back towards me, I stuck my head out of the cratch cover. With me being very nosy, I asked them what it was all about. Turns out it was to do with Google mapping! Anyway they continued on there way and I thought no more about it until I had a voice hail me and ask if they might have a word.  Stood in front of the boat was the lady holding the mic and the gentleman with the scarf around his neck. They said they were from the BBC East Midlands news and wanted to know if I thought Google mapping was a good idea or not. As I started to answer the microphone got shoved toward me as well as a video camera. Well this got me all hot and bothered as well as tongue tied. I did waffle something about how some boaters rely on Google maps for finding the way to shops and how its a good for finding footpaths for walking dogs etc, but in truth I cant see them using my interview. Two more people walked by with dogs and they were interviewed as well. They seemed to be at least coherent in their answer so I suppose I'll just have to watch the East Midlands regional program now to see if I made the grade!

The contraption had cameras mounted at the front and appeared to be rather heavy. It was now being carried by a different person. To think, someone has to walk the thousands of miles of roads, foot paths , streets etc just for our benefit.


And finally:-








1 comment:

Jacquie said...

Fingers crossed that fame comes your way :) Beautiful pictures as usual Irene. Happy Cruising Jacquie

Blog Archive