About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 15 August 2013

A pet hate!

First a moan! What is it about people not picking up after their dog! I'm convinced it was a local's dog and not a boater's dog that left the steaming pile outside the back deck of our neighbours boat! Surly no boater would dream of leaving it by another boat knowing the minute he or she stepped off the deck they would be straight in it! As there were no dog bins in the vicinity I picked it up with our shovel and threw it in the river. Not something I endorse as polluting the water is almost as bad as leaving doggie do bags pinned to trees. Putting it on a shovel and placing it in the hedge bottom, where it will break down naturally, is what I do....... unless of course, there is no hedge bottom. Then I bag it. Some may disagree with my method but it is much better then going into a landfill site in a plastic bag where it will take umpteen years to break down! Anyway now I have had my moan there isn't  really much to blog about today. After we left Hertford this morning, waving goodbye to Pat as we crept past Roger was still asleep, we had a decent run, although slow, to Waltham Abbey. This time all the locks were against us. We knew a boat was in front having seen it from afar but just couldn't catch it up. Still we have a good system worked out where I drop Ian off then make fast the boat. Ian closes the bottom gates and I start winding the paddles up as soon as they are shut. There are no bridges over the top gates and no platform to walk across so having to walk round every time is a right pain. With our system the lock is filled and boat in the lock, in double quick time. We found a mooring before Waltham Abbey and as the sky was turning blacker and blacker it was time to stop. I did manage to have a fish before the rain started and caught a very respectable Perch. Ian got on with the oil change and checking the water situation which, I might add, is still holding its own!

Moorings in Hertford


I did a double take when I saw this boats name.

Until I looked more closely!!

14 day moorings by the River Lee Country Park and lake.




And finally:-






No comments:

Blog Archive