About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 21 April 2013

6 months later..........




We have finally finished the coachline on the port side. The starboard side was done last October but since then we haven't really had any decent weather to even attempt the job. I was beginning to think  that we would be cruising again with a lopsided boat. Ian did point out though, that we can only ever see one side at a time but it's so much nicer having both sides the same. Masking up took the time. I volunteered for the job on Friday seeing as Ian was helping ECP&DA at the work party, and it took me most of that day. It would have helped if I had a decent pair of eyes to see what I was doing and even with my glasses on I got the occasional wavy line. Still Ian wasn't to dissatisfied with my attempt and that's saying something from a perfectionist! It was sods law that Saturday we woke to a frost. Was my attempt at masking all in vain? Thankfully it appeared not and once the hull side was dry Ian started on the painting. 2 coats were applied and we left it over night to harden off. This morning came the anticipated unveiling. It was disastrous!!! In parts the paint had bled through under the tape and in other parts some of the paint had come away with the tape, but we managed to save the day by rubbing along the lines with plenty of white spirit which in turn got most of the excess paint off and then Ian went round with a steady hand and touch up brush to repair the damage. From a distance it looks acceptable and we have even had a few comments on what a good job we made of it. If only they had seen it earlier.

I thought I would post this picture of Starlings. Apparently they are on the decline. Not so around here I can tell you!
Mr Starling keeping a close eye on his misses


No comments:

Blog Archive