About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 17 December 2012

All hope gone.

I don't even think I really need to write anything. These pictures tell it all.
Steps covered again


Thought I would show you where the November flood water had risen to
I kind off guessed as much when I met 4 C&RT blokes unloading scaffolding from their van. I was intrigued as to what they were doing and being cheeky I asked the question. Apparently new fishing platforms were to be built below Dolkholme lock for the fishing club. Seems like C&RT do a lot more then we think they do! Anyway, I asked one of them if they had been down to Trent Lock this morning. After explaining our situation, he did no more then get on the phone to Dave, lock keeper at Sawley, to get the low down on the state of the river. Unfortunately he confirmed what I feared, that only the red showed on the gauge and, even though the river had dropped slightly, more rain was heading to our area tonight and the Trent was liable to rise again. So it looks like we will be making tracks back to Langley tomorrow. Still, one must look on the bright side. We have had a change of scene for a few days and more importantly, our starter battery completely gave up the ghost this morning and with a spare battery ready at hand in our garage, it meant we spared ourselves the possibility of being stranded without power on our way to Milton Keynes. Every cloud, as one might say.

1 comment:

jampot55 said...

oh dear - feel for you, these waters have been a bit of a bitch in 2012 haven't they ---- let's hope 2013 brings a bit of stability to the rains!
Merry Christmas, love Janice and Dai

Blog Archive