About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 18 October 2012

The little greeneyed monster

Yep that's me! It's reared it's ugly head! Two of our friends from the ECP&DA are off on their boats for a three week cruise up the T&M and onto the Caldon canal. Normally we would have joined them but of course, at the moment, we are tied to the NHS.  To say I was envious was an understatement especially as it was 4 years ago that the BIF's ( Bracken, Icing & Freespirit ) set off as a convoy for our first epic cruise, crossing the tidal Ribble and onto the Lancaster canal. Last night we all went out for a farewell dinner at The Great Northern and then back on board the party boat, Nb Icing, ( so called because of her long fore deck ) for  a game of Mexican Train.  Today, as they entered Langley Bridge lock, I set off armed with windlass, handcuff key and Jade to walk ahead and get both Eastwood and Shipley locks ready for them. Then it was only a matter of waiting for them to arrive at Shipley before wishing them bon voyage as they cruised off into the distance.

Nb Icing with Dennis at Helm reversing out of the Great Northern Basin.


Dave and Heather on Nb Bracken getting ready to set off.

Nb Bracken first into Eastwood lock

Closely followed by Dennis and Margaret on Nb Icing
 On my way back to Langley, I decided to take an excursion along the disused Nottingham canal. Most of what is left in water is covered in weed and reeds, ideal habitat for water vole. Three years ago walking the same stretch I came across 8 voles within a half mile section. Unfortunately I saw no sign of any vole today but  mink has been frequently spotted around here so I am assuming that is  why the vole is no longer around. What I did come across, though, was a farrier on the lane leading to Gadsby bridge hot shoeing a horse.




Back at our boat Ian and I made a decision. As we also own another boat, Nb Merlin, kept in the  fleet at the Anglo Welsh hire base at Trevor on the Llangollen, we are going to see if she is available for us to take out for 5 days in November.  A phone call later today will give us our answer!

5 comments:

jampot55 said...

hope you get your November break.
Fab pictures of the horse and farrier - never seen that personally so your pictures nice.
We are on the Leicester section of GU and plan to cruise up to Yelvertoft tomorrow from the Welford Arm.
Take care, janice and dai x

Sue / Boatwif (nb Cleddau) said...

What fantastic pictures of the farrier at work! Amazing.

Do hope you get your trip on the Llangollen, it is much deserved.

Sue (nb Cleddau, moored on the Macc.)

Jo Lodge said...

I can imagine how your both feeling, it must be incredibly frustrating, I know how Keith and I felt when he was so poorly in 2009/10. I do hope you can go out on Merlin though, it will give you both a lift.
Ohhh I love the smell of horses being shoed. Yeah I know I am strange hahaha. When I used to ride I saw it happen most days. We watched the horses on the Llangollen being shoed whilst we were there.

Lots of love and hugs to you both. xxxxxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi to all,
November break all booked Yea!!! My own horse was always hot shod and his shoes always lasted until his next shoeing. I too love the smell of the shoe burning into the hoof. Don't worry though folks. It never hurts the horse if its done properly.

KevinTOO said...

Hope you both have a magical time on Merlin :) I bet you're chomping on the bit to get there soon, not long to wait :)
Kevin & Harry xx

Blog Archive