About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 21 July 2012

Another cat tale (off sorts)

Not a thing went wrong today. In fact it was a pleasure to be out on the water. The sun shone, we had no tiller wobble and we even managed to get a mooring at the Black Country museum. It was right by the wall and our only means to 'get off' was at the bow, but it was great to be in yet another secure mooring.

I'm a bit ahead of myself so I'll start with the cat. Late last night I happened to be looking out of the window and thought I saw a fox. The animal was the size of a vixen but when I looked again saw that it was indeed a cat. These pictures don't really show you the size but if I thought it was big from our moorings across the canal, then trust me it was big. Almost twice the size of a domestic moggy. Shame I only got a back view



The view across the canal at 7am
 With the fog delaying our start this morning, once the sun came out we continued on our journey. The Curly Wurly on the stretch between Sneyd Junction and the Wolverhampton was a joy. I don't know why this waterway isn't used that much. Its very pretty and mainly rubbish free and the moorings by Wednesfield Junction looked to be okay. By the way, I need to thank Adam on Nb Briar Rose by correcting my statement that we would reach Black Country Museum by the Birmingham Main line. I  know now that its the Wolverhampton line..



Unique ducks nesting box, seen on the Wyrley and Essington.
We turned left onto the Wolverhampton and immediately met two boats!! Apart from the canaltime seen at Walsall Locks, there hadn't been any boat movement for over 2 days. So it meant we would have to be a bit more vigilant at the bridge 'oles again.

Looking back at the Curly Wurly
 Our plan for today was to do a quick excursion up the Wednesbury Oak Loop but we had to think again when we noticed in Nicholson that, what was the BW regional workshop at the very end, only allowed boats to wind between the hours of 09.00 and 17.00 Monday to Friday. Today being Saturday we thought it best if we left it for another time.

To the left is the Wednesbury Oak Loop

Looking down the centre.


We traveled onwards through the Coseley Tunnel, then turned right before Factory locks and then right again toward the Black Country museam.

Coseley Tunnel



Factory locks

Right toward the Museam

Gets a bit narrow
 Once moored and, although it was only a year ago since our last visit, we went for another wander round and more importantly to indulge in the wonderful fish and chips. What a let down though! They were soggy and limp and very fatty. Last year the chips were excellent but I suppose it was the end of the afternoon, and they were getting ready to close. Still I feel that every portion, whether it be the first or last, should always be as good as the first.

So, to end this post I have put a few pictures of our walk round the museum.

Dudley Tunnel

Our wall moorings

President and Kildare back on their mooring

Sunken Joey boats






Steam powered


How small????


No comments:

Blog Archive