About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 28 June 2012

Thunderstorms hit Birmingham!

Today Ian arrives back. Hopefully by mid afternoon so I thought I had better do a bit of a tidying around the boat just so he wouldn't think I had done nothing for the past 5 days! The kitchen bin was full, so armed with a carrier bag filled to the top with rubbish, Jade and camera, set of for the rubbish point at the top of Farmers bridge. Yesterday I happened to walk past a boat I recognised. It was Nb Jandai   fitted out at Kingfishers at Trent Lock. We met when we were in dry dock. Cant remember if it was this year or last but we got chatting about the lads, Mick and John, from the boat yard and spent a pleasant half hour talking about this and that. So this morning when Jan and Dai were again sitting on the back of their boat, I stopped for another natter. Thats when I found out they blogged. Great news for me as now I can follow yet another blog.


Dai,  Jan and Foxy
.I eventually made it to the rubbish point just in time to see the storm clouds gathering. High tailed it back to the boat but not before stopping for yet another chat  with Jan and Dai. The thunder rumbled in the distance and a few spots of rain made its appearance. Thats when I decided to make a quick exit, and just in time too as the heavens opened, lightening flashed, thunder roared and Jade ended up a quivering wreck in the bathroom desperately trying to find some sort of hiding place.Now, I know that all anyone wants to do is cuddle their dog in these situations and try and reassure them, but it really is in their best interest if you can leave them be and for them to find their own safe haven. Jade knew I was around so could have come to me any time she wanted. I would have let her lie by my side without a touch or glance in her direction. She needs to realise that if her owner is not upset by all the noise, she needn't be either.

Felt so sorry for the person on the back of an Anglo Welsh hire boat.  I hope he found somewhere to stop as most of the moorings here were already taken


It got so dark that the bridge lights were fooled into thinking it was night.
The storm raged on and off for another hour or so but leaving Jade alone seemed to do the trick. Although she still shook, the frantic panting had all but stopped. Now all I have to worry about is Ian. His plane is due to land at Birmingham around 1ish so he may well be experiencing quite a bit of turbulence while  flying through these storms. I'll update tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive