About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 4 February 2012

Footprints in the snow & what bird is this???

Some time ago Ian installed a temperature gauge in our engine room.  This morning at 7 am the outside temperature read - 10.7 degrees. The engine room reading was+ 2.5. No wonder the boat felt cold!  I really didn't want to get up this morning but Jade's needs are greater then mine so after putting on 1 thermal vest, 2 T shirts a thick jumper, long johns, thermal socks and thick jeans I felt ready to tackle the cold. I must say there is something wonderful about walking in the cold when the air is still and the frost is all around. With the snow still present on the frozen canal a whole new world opens up. Suddenly you see what animals and birds are around at night. These footprints tell a tale and possibly a one sad one as well.

I'm sure these are from rabbits.



Not sure about these though. Could they still be from rabbits?



We can look at this picture two ways. 1. The rabbit ( I presume it was a rabbit ) was playing and fell through the ice. A sad demise! or... 2 It fell through and managed to get out again. I'm hoping it was the latter.
 

Fox?

Coot or Moorhen.



This made me wonder if a larger animal actually swam across. Otherwisw what else would cause this?
   I took a few more photo's in the hope there might be something decent to make my cards out of. This could be  a possibility,


I have a bit of a mystery here. I was trying to photograph some coal tits in a tree but  I suddenly notice this bird on one of the branches. I hadnt even realised it was there until I put the photo on Picasa to edit. So can anyone tell me what it is. The picture is a bit blurred but I'm hoping someone can identify it. It looks to be about the size of a rook
.


                                         Last but not least, Can you see what is in this picture?

3 comments:

nbchance said...

Like the new blog layout, very nice. Hope you are both keeping warm,we are enjoying all the wintry pictures. Take Care. Doug and James

Jo Lodge said...

Love the new layout and the photos. Stay safe and warm xxx

Sue said...

I think your mystery yellow bird is a particularly bright Yellowhammer

Sue (nb Muriel)

Blog Archive