About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Gales & Steve Cropper reply to my email

Wow what a night! Wind and rain kept us rocking all night ( but for all the wrong reasons if you know what I mean). It has not been much better throughout the day and for some reason smoke from our fire is blowing in from not only the vents but every time we open the fire door to add more fuel!!! Its like a peasouper fog in here, and as soon as we try to open the windows to get rid of it more comes in.I must check the batteries on our smoke alarm as so far they haven't gone off!! I did manage to take Jade out for her walk during a brief lull and taking the path along the river was probably not such a good idea. I battled against the wind all the way to Sawley and trying to get decent pictures on my camera was extremely difficult ( I couldn't keep the camera still in the gales!!) Anyway I did manage a few so here is my photo contribution for today.

Ducks had had enough and took refuge on the pontoon


Even the Canada Geese and Gulls flocked together to sit it out


A few enjoying the puddles


Proper waves with white horses. Glad I'm not travelling the Trent today.
 John and Mike returned to the dock today from their Christmas break. One of the first things they did was to move Paul's boat out of the dock and breast it up against us.


 So now I have lost my view and can no longer report on any issues happening at the facilities. As you may be aware I reported the vandalism of the men from the camo boat to Steve Cropper. This is what I wrote:-
Dear Steve,
We are on Kingfishers dry dock moorings with our boat Freespirit. Yesterday the infamous camo boat ( unlicensed ) arrived with some very dubious characters. One of these characters walked over to the fence and ripped one of the panels away from the post. As there appears to have been some damage done to the fence previously I feel its only a matter of time before all the panels are taken for firewood. I appreciate that this is not a high priority but if this vandalism isn't stopped now it wont be long before BW will have an even bigger bill to pay out. I have enclosed photos in case you want to take this matter further
Yours sincerely
Irene Jameison.

His reply came today:-
 
 Hello Irene

I have returned to work today after an extended leave period over Christmas
Thank you reporting the incident we are well aware of the said boat and are dealing accordingly
I will liaise with the Police regarding reported vandalism
Will be in touch if further details required


Thanks again


Steve C


Steve Cropper
Enforcement Officer
British Waterways
The Kiln
Mather Road
Newark Notts NG24 IFB
Mobile 07710175412
Office 01636 704481
email steve.cropper@britishwaterways.co.uk

So sometimes it pays to report these issues. Hopefully the camo boat will soon be put out of action.

No comments:

Blog Archive