About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 1 December 2011

Pictures of the Weed Scooper

Arriving at our bungalow today to await the tanker that would empty the Septic Tank ( very pongnifourous and nearly full to overflowing ) I heard the unmistakable sound of the weed scooper machine. Thankfully, today, I had my camera with me so I rushed round to the lock to capture these pics.




Dumping the stuff at the bottom of a canal side garden!!!!
 On his tea break I went over to have a natter with him and to ask what he thought of the Azolla weed clean up. First thing he said was " the bucket is a complete waste of time"! Apparently the first bucket on the machine, only had bars across. It was no use nor ornament to anyone. Okay for collecting the usual bottles, cones, shopping trolly's and rubbish in general ( okay then, maybe not shopping trolleys ) but absolutely not the right thing to use when scooping the weed. This bucket is the second attempt and although he said it was better, he confirmed what I said in my last post about leaving almost as much behind as scooping it up. I asked him how he disposed of the stuff only to be told that he had to dump it on the offside at any convenient point whether it be at the bottom of someones garden or any clear piece of bank.  Then he informed me that it was combustible!!! Yep, like any rotting compost it would eventually heat up and maybe even catch light. I can see some very irate home owner having a right go at BW. After all I'm sure I wouldn't want it dumped at the edge of my garden!

Our mooring here at Kingfisher Dry Dock is very secure. Moored just in front of us is Chris and Jan on there working boats. One is called Hereford but there doesn't appear to be a name on the other one. Jan does sign writing and watching her doing her art work is amazing. Chris sells coal, very handy for us for when we run out. Mick and John on the dock have allowed us to plug into their electrics, payment to be worked out, and water is to hand when we need to fill our tank. Opposite is the Facility block so emptying our loo cassette couldn't be easier. All in all a very pleasant mooring and one to remember in future if the lads dont need it themselves.


Kingfisher dock behind us.
 .

No comments:

Blog Archive