About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 14 October 2011

Blue Screen of Death!!!

Its happened. The virus has killed my Netbook. Ian tried in vain to destroy the nasty bug, even trying to open windows in Safe Mode, but to no avail. I have 2 choices to make now. Get my son Colin the computer wizz kid to have a look at it, or buy a new one. Having only one laptop doesn't work for us. When I want to use it,sods law says Ian needs it, and when he's on the net, I want it. Its a no hoper whatever happens.

Our decision to stay on the Ashby was short lived. We have decided to make for Milton Keynes. It makes sense as our car will be at Colin's and traveling to Eastbourne from there cuts an hour and a half off our journey. As my Step mum's condition appears to be stable at the moment, I think we have enough time to make it to either Stoke Bruerne or Cosgrove. At the moment we are moored topside of Hillmorton Locks. Traveling along the Oxford who should we meet? Mo and Ness on Balmaha. As usual we only managed to pass pleasantries as we both sped past in opposite directions. One day we might be able to chat longer. We also spied Valerie moored along the Oxford.  We saw Les briefly on the Ashby but we still haven't been able to say Hello. As he is facing in our direction we might be able to chat if he passes us at Hillmorton. Heres hoping.

I cant post any pictures at the moment. Ian wont have Picaso on his Laptop and as most of my pictures end up there so I can edit them, I'm a bit stumped.  I WANT MY NETBOOK BACK !!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, have you got any recovery discs for your laptop, have you tried a clean re install of windows - presuming you use windows ?
My suggestion would be to try a copy of LInux on a usb drive to see if that works, trying this would eliminate the possibility of a hardware problem rather than a software problem. Linux Mint is a very good distribution and works straight out of the box with the majority of laptop hardware.

Just a suggestion.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi, Unfortunately we haven't got a recovery disc. Ian is pretty sure its a software problem because the virus has disabled the anti virus software program. It seems to attack any thing we try to install. We are going to pass the Netbook onto our son as a first resort to see what he can do with it. Thanks for your help though, It's much appreciated. Irene

Anonymous said...

Bill suggests
See if you can open in safe-mode, then see if AVG (or other antivirus protection) will run a scan and find the trouble. This proved a simple solution to a bug that laid me low for a week. Even if it doesn't work for you, it might fore someone else reading this. Wish I'd known earlier!

Blog Archive