About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Still havent arrived at Shobnall!

First I must congratulate myself for reaching my 1000th post. Its only taken since April 2008. It took a lot of sitting in front of my computer trying to think what I should write to reach this number. In fact for the first 2 years we only had 1 computer and I had to keep moaning at Ian to allow me to use it. Now that I have my own its a lot easier, that is until our wireless Internet lets us down and I have to connect straight to the dongle. Then Ian glares at me until I give in and let him use the dongle instead.
So today we made it as far as Branston Water Park. We had heard on the grapevine that the boats already at the site would be moving to their allocated mooring. Also, this afternoon was when boats booked in for the festival could start arriving so we assumed that chaos would rain and that we would be better off arriving tomorrow. Jim and Annie on Nb Elizabeth had the same idea and turned up about an hour after us this morning. As I had a day to kill I went armed with dogs and camera to get some close up photos of wildlife around the lake.

A Ladybird eating the white fly. Must get one to get rid of the aphids on my lettuce.


A bee had just entered the flower. I'm rather pleased with this one. I might even submit it to the Country File photo competition.


First rabbit spied on the walk......then

another appeared but a completely different colour. Jade saw this one and I was lucky to have taken this picture before she chased it off.
 Now for another moan. (I seem to be doing this a lot lately) If you have moored at the park and have taken a walk around the lake you will have noticed some area's especially reserved for Dog dips.  After we arrived I took both dogs to the nearest dip.

As you can see the sign tells it all. Then later in the day we went to the other dip area. Guess what was there???

Well... to late!!! Both dogs had been in swimming at the first dip. Why oh why wasn't the signs put up at ALL the swimming points. Now I have another worry. Will the dogs be okay? So far there doesn't appear to be any adverse effects and I have been on the Internet to find out all about the algae. It states that the dogs have had to ingested a lot of the stuff to cause a problem so hopefully they will be okay, and before you say surely the water looked green, it didn't. It just looked cloudy.
Tomorrow we will definitely be arriving at Shobnall and I expect I'll have plenty to report on the coming and going's of, not just the festival boats, but the poor hirer's that have to negotiate a kilometer of double breasted boats with the odd passing place. Should be fun!!

1 comment:

Keith Lodge said...

We got round the having to share a dongle by having one each. Saves having to fight over one, and also as a backup in case one fails.

Blog Archive