About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 1 July 2011

The official Opening of the Droitwich Canal.

Another fabulous day. In the morning Ian did his stint helping out again, while I chatted to the many visitors that came along to view the boats. The official opening was to be held at 2 pm with the unveiling of the plaque by Caroline Spelman, Secretary of State for the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. By 12 30pm Ian was back and after a spot of lunch, went straight to watch the proceedings.

The dignitaries arriving by boat. The Mayor is on the tiller.
Unfortunately only " Invited guests" were allowed in the marquee to hear the speeches. As inside the tent was rather hot I for one was extremely glad we had to stay outside.
Looking round the site I spied a couple of H & W Fire and Rescue Service men. I,m a bit of a sucker for men in uniform but I bet they wished they could remove there heavy suits. It must have been really stifling for them. Mind you, they work in extreem temperature's nearly every day so I expect today's heat was a walk in the park.


We missed the official opening and cutting of the tape because we decided to have a wander up the Junction canal. We wont be doing this section for the time being because we have arranged to leave the boat at Stafordshire boat club near Great Hayward by next Friday. Tomorrow I will post the pictures of our walk up the Junction canal but for now the beer tent is beckoning and you dont want to keep that waiting!!!
Just before I go I must show you what appeared in the basin this afternoon. An Aquacar!!! How good is that! Can I have one please.


No comments:

Blog Archive