About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Great fishing above Tixall Lock

We only had a short journey from Stafford to our moorings here at Tixall Lock. Ian wants our fuel injectors tested and has arranged with Keith, the manager from Anglo Welsh at Grt Haywood,  to have a look at them for us tomorrow.
Tixall Lock must be one of our favourite moorings. Sometimes you can here the odd train rumbling past but the wonderful setting makes up for it.Its normally so peaceful that even on November 5th its quiet, thats why we always try to get here early November to save our dogs becoming nervous quivering wrecks because of the fireworks. The added bonus for me is the fishing. Its fantastic. I must have caught over 40 fish today, mostly small dace and perch but also some good size bream, rudd and roach.

 Many people, including Ian, can't understand why I spend hours dangling a maggot. Well, I see so much wildlife which wouldn't normally be seen including a pair of otters on the Lancaster, grass snakes, Kingfishers and foxes, Muntjac deer, water voles and numerous bird species. Opposite me were a pair of Reed Warbler's feeding their young. Took me ages to get these photo's and they could be better but I thought I would share them with you anyway. So as you can see, fishing isnt a boring pastime after all!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll discover they are 'muntjac' deer!!
Not a crit - just hope to help.
S

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi S
Thanks. Have amended post.
Irene

Blog Archive