About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 25 July 2011

Alrewas

I did convince Ian to move this morning although our decision wasn't anything to do with my fishing. I had another phone call from my Dad late last night. My Step mum was back in hospital. I feel another trip to Eastbourne is on the horizon and we both decided that getting to Burton was now a priority. The buses and trains are all near by so if Ian needs to get our car from Sandiacre it will be easier from there.
We didn't travel very far this morning. Only to Alrewas. A phone call to Carole and Mick on Nb Electra who was already at Shobnall told us the moorings wouldn't be available until Tuesday. No point in going on especially as a mooring was available here. We did get a chance to have a good natter with Jim and Annie on Nb Elizabeth. When we arrived Jim was putting a line up. I wondered if he was sorting out the bunting for the festival, but no, he was hanging out the washing! Annie must have trained Jim very well. So come on Ian, take a leaf out of Jim's book!! 
Nice bunting!!!! Ian and Jim chilling out.

 Seeing all their washing on the line made me decide to do ours. As water will be in short supply once we reach Shobnall I washed as much as I could including ourselves ( must be both our Birthdays) and as our last intake of water will be tomorrow, restrictions will have to be enforced.
These ducks were out begging for the odd crust. They certainly know which side there bread is buttered on. I wonder what sort of inbreeding caused these varieties.

Hybrid ducks.

I cant make out what mix this one is. Its much bigger then a normal mallard and the tail feathers are all wrong.
Alrewas is always very popular so to get our mooring here was a bonus. I recommend you get here anytime after 10am and before midday that being the best time to secure a place. We visited the butchers for our lamb steaks and speciality sausages and then spent the afternoon cleaning the boat and chatting to anyone who stopped to have a natter. Tomorrow we will make our way to Shobnall and hopefully our allocated moorings.

No comments:

Blog Archive