About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Two baby Moorhens have hatched.

It must have been around 6.30 am when I became aware of a faint cheep cheep sound through the bedroom window. I lay there for a moment and then it dawned on me, it must be a new moorhen chick. Sure enough I just caught a glimpse of it before it put its head down. No sign of mum or dad and I was very concerned that it had been abandoned. I needn't have worried as one of the parents returned to keep it warm.

Then Ian and Caroline appeared on nb Indulgence. They told me that this was by no means the first chick hatched and the one that had already left the nest was following the other parent around begging for food.

Unfortunately I missed the second chicks leap of faith into the water below, but at the moment both babies are doing well. She now has 3 eggs left in the nest and, as she is still sitting on them, hopefully another one, if not all, will hatch tomorrow

No comments:

Blog Archive