About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 8 April 2011

My first Pike!!

Okay so its only tiny but as Ive never caught one before I felt immensely proud of myself. It was swimming along the surface so I grabbed my pole and dangled a maggot in front of his nose. It couldn't fail to miss seeing it and the pike lunged forward and grabbed the maggot. With a quick flick of the pole the fish was hooked good and proper.
Today has been glorious. Got a touch of sunburn so had to cover up as the picture shows. Boy was I hot!! As I couldn't find my linen long sleeved shirt I had to make do with my fleece.
 The journey today has been very difficult. Something has happened to our skeg. Right turns are fine but to try and move the tiller to go left is almost impossible. Ian went down the weed hatch again to see if he had missed something when he cleared the prop the other day. Nothing was found. He can only surmise that when he reversed to go into our mooring at Sandiacre he hit something solid under the water and that may have bent the steel. Thank goodness we are dry docking her over Easter and then we will see exactly what we've done.
Heading into Mercia Marina tomorrow so no more battling with the tiller for a week.

No comments:

Blog Archive