About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 3 September 2008

Cow swing bridge





The weather was awful on the day we decide to take a trip to Silsdon. The wind was howling and I found it really difficult to hold the boat into the side. As Ian opened the swing bridge he told me that two boats were coming from the other direction and that he had waved them through, I was cursing him but managed to get the boat tied to a bollard before the boat ended up at the other side of the canal. As they were going through suddenly a herd of cows turned up and just stood there waiting for the bridge to close. I had a vision of the domino effect occurring and the ones in front just toppling into the water. Anyway once the two boats had gone through I thought okay now its my turn. but no the next thing I knew Ian had started to close the bridge , in which the cows did no more then start to cross. Ian then had to complete the procedure because by now the weight of all of the cows on the bridge made it impossible for him to open it again.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Blog Archive